Now that I have seen, I am responsible
Faith without deeds is dead
Now that I have held you in my own arms, I cannot let go till you are
...
I will tell the world, I will tell them where I've been
I will keep my word
I will tell them Albertine

- Brooke Fraser

Tuesday 7 June 2011

Filled with Wonder, Joy, Love, Expectancy, and Peace

Wow, once again I am encompassed with amazement for my Savior.  God is so good and has been teaching me so much.  Sunday at church Les preached about Knowing God.  I was overcome by the Spirit and a hunger to know God more.  It was a great sermon but I did not get hit until the end when we started singing a song that when translated is something like this: Receive all the glory, Receive all the honor, Precious Son of God.  These words became the prayer of my entire being and I just starting crying.  At this moment, I knew that I was a sinner, who was undeserving of grace, but I also new the glory of God and that I wanted my life to be focused on growing more and more in Him.  I want it to be evident that I am living more life for the honor and glory of the true Lord.  
God is definitely moving here - in my life and the people of Guatemala.  So to know God better I am trying to follow the advice of this verse, which was read at the service: So don't lose a minute in building on what you've been given, complementing your basic faith with good character, spiritual understanding, alert discipline, passionate patience, reverent wonder, warm friendliness, and generous love, each dimension fitting into and developing the others. - 2 Peter 1:5-7
May we all be challenged to know God more and more, and for God to receive all the glory and honor in our lives.

On Monday, we did a medical clinic in the mountain town of Chacalte.  After driving up the cloud engulfed mountain and walking for 10 minutes down a muddy trail, we arrived at a one room building that Impact and the people of the church had transformed into our medical clinic.  There was a waiting area, 3 exam rooms, and a pharmacy in this dirt floor building with little light - but it all worked out!  I was nervous as I had no idea was to expect and had the fear that I may be coerced into having my own exam room (including assessments, diagnosing, and prescribing... truly a doctor's job).  But I left it all to God and asked that He would just use me to show these people His love in whatever way He had in mind.  I ended up working the pharmacy with Cathie's daughter Patricia.  Although I didn't get to exercise my nursing skills, I had a great time helping in the way I did.  When we were filling prescriptions, kids would look through the dividing sheets out of curiosity and we got to play and take pictures with them, which was really a joy!  It was hard to communicate, however, as this town speaks Achi, one of the indigenous languages that is very different from Spanish.  Nonetheless I was able to share God's love and blessings to these people through medical aid.  And just to make it more amazing, when we were finished all the children helped us pack up and carry all our supplies back to the van.  They really knew what joy was.  They blessed my heart through their eagerness to help.  And just to top off the day, our drive back down the mountain was spectacular.  Chacalte is one of the most beautiful places.  God is truly the most amazing artist!
Our Language Helpers!

Today, we were back at Mocohan school.  I just love those kids so much.  They are getting to know me now and every time I walk around, I get a million amazing hugs - it is fantastic!  If you could bottle up their love and joy (which definitely comes from God) and ship it around the world, the Earth would definitely be a better place.  It amazes me.  These children have literally nothing.  If it were not for their sponsors, they would not be going to this school, have most of the clothes they own, have a guaranteed nutritious meal in the day, and be taught about a transformed life through Christ.  They know what it is to rely on Him and to praise them with everything they have.  I wish I could stay with them forever.  One of the girls asked me if I was a patrocinadora.  I was not familiar with this word and so I answered I do not know but I am studying nursing...  That was a fail to her question but then she said her patrocinadora was a nurse in Canada.  She told me her name was Michelle and asked if I knew her.  She told me she loved her sponsor although she has never met her.  So if you sponsor a child, know that they truly love and value all you do for them!  I sponsor a child through Compassion Canada but because of all the experiences here and knowing how much these children value their sponsors, I feel compelled to sponsor a child through Impact.  If any of you have ever considered sponsoring a child and haven't, I would encourage you to look into sponsoring a deserving child through Impact Ministries (Impact's website).
I also wanted to extend a huge thank you for all of your support through prayers and finances.  I have now paid off all of my expenses for being here - praise the Lord for a month before I left, I never thought it would be possible!  I had $195 left to pay and my mom just let me know I got my tax return the other day for just under $195.  Wow God is good, all the time.  All the time, God is good!

Be encouraged for God is amazing.
Blessings in abundance,
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment