Now that I have seen, I am responsible
Faith without deeds is dead
Now that I have held you in my own arms, I cannot let go till you are
...
I will tell the world, I will tell them where I've been
I will keep my word
I will tell them Albertine

- Brooke Fraser

Sunday 5 June 2011

A Crazy Kind of Love

I want a crazy kind of love for my Creator.  My love for Him has been growing and I have been radically changed in my time here so far.  God is so good and reveals Himself in so many ways.  Everyone weekday morning this past week, I have been in one of Impact's schools helping with their annual check ups.  Nothing can compare to my time there.  Thursday morning near the end of chapel, Cathie's family and myself were called up to the front so that they could pray for us.  Immediately I was surrounded by children.  I felt as though I were a magnet.  They were all so close and placed their hands on me.  The director of the school started praying for us and then all the children and teachers also started praying.  It was probably one of the most beautiful things I had ever heard even though I did not understand much as not only were close to 200 people praying at once but they were also praying in Spanish.  However, I know that my soul understood.  I felt so refreshed and transformed.  The Spirit was definitely present and at work.  These children understand prayer and what it is to be a Christian.  Francis Chan describes this crazy love and what it truly means to be a fruit-bearing disciple of Christ in his book.  I started this book before Christmas with a good friend of mine, Rachel.  However, slowly as the next semester got busy again, we slowly stopped meeting and discussing what we had read.  So I picked it up again and started from the beginning.  And I am sure glad that I did.  This book is challenging.  It is not an easy read or one that you can pick up and not be changed.  Like I said, I have been so challenged during my time here - to be a better person, to be a true disciple, to see things differently, etc.  Not that I am almost half way through my time here (which has flown by), I have been thinking about going back home.  Yes I am excited to see my friends and family, but I am almost scared to go back.  I know that I will be returning as a different person.  Here in Guatemala, I am so passionate about God, knowing Him more, reading His word, and resting in Him.  But at home, it was hard to find that passion.  I know I was lukewarm (and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I've fully figured it out now but I am working more towards that full abandonment to the One I love) but the busyness of life always seemed to take priority.  I refuse for things to go back to 'normal' and I do not see how they could.  But I am still uncertain how to transfer from how I have been living here to when I get back home.  But God is good and I still have plenty of time here to contemplate these types of things.  I hope that it does not have to take a trip to a place like Guatemala for others to figure these sort of things out.  I pray God will reveal Himself to you all and that you will be changed from the inside out.  Francis Chan says that "God's definition of what matters is pretty straightforward.  He measures our lives by how we love" (p.93).  May this be a new way to view the way we live our lives.  
Much love and blessings,
Rebecca

1 comment:

  1. It is good to be reminded of Guatemala, and of the children. It does happen that upon coming back to Canada it is easy to forget. Are you familiar with the beginning of the silver chair where Aslan instructs "Remember, remember, remember..." There are those moments when God speaks clearly to us, and we must remember. Blogging is a good way to remember. And I am reminded, remember the kids.

    By the way, you are a wonderfully talented writter. Keep writing! I am excited to see how the rest of your trip goes, I am excited to hear what you learn so that I can learn as well.

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete