Now that I have seen, I am responsible
Faith without deeds is dead
Now that I have held you in my own arms, I cannot let go till you are
...
I will tell the world, I will tell them where I've been
I will keep my word
I will tell them Albertine

- Brooke Fraser

Sunday 29 May 2011

In Tactic

I made it safely to Tactic Friday late morning.  The drive up was beautiful and I couldn't help but think of what was to come.  My excitement for my time here grew with each hour that passed on the drive.  Usually I sleep on long car rides but this trip I barely slept at all.  Exciting discussion about the week to come filled the car as the doctor I am working with and her daughter who just finished Med school were also in the car.  
Once we arrived, we had a couple hours before the medical clinic was open!  Wow, I had no idea that we would be doing anything that day - yay!  We all had a lovely lunch with Les and Rita, the founders of Impact Ministries, and then off we went.  After a brief orientation of the electronic medical record program, the first patient arrived.  I observed Cathie, the doctor, and saw how much I was going to learn.  Throughout the day, I was able to aid Cathie in a few different tests and also work in the pharmacy, filling prescriptions she had prescribed and then explaining them to the patients.  My Spanish is already improving, which excites me a lot as I think to what it will hopefully be by the end of my trip!  The medical clinic is truly a blessing to the community and surrounding communities that make the trek to get here.  We are able to give them simple things like Tylenol as it is unattainable to the majority of the people.  It makes me realize how much healthcare and healthcare products are taken for granted at home.  This makes me really sad as people can die from simple things like diarrhea here.  But God is good and provides what to many was viewed as completely unattainable.
Monday morning we are going to one of Impact's schools to perform regular medical check ups for all the children and then sometime later this week we will be going up into a mountain town to provide much needed care.  In some ways I feel inadequate but I know that Cathie has so much knowledge and that God can use me in things I may see as impossible. 
Saturday was special as along with Cathie's family and Karey (one of my roommates who is an English teacher), I was able to enjoy a relaxing day at a park nearby.  We relaxed, went for a lovely walk, and roasted hotdogs (yes I actually ate one...) and marshmellows.  It was a really fun afternoon of community and relaxation.  The rest of the day was spent with my roommates, who are all great.  
Today we are going to a church service at 4, which I am really looking forward to.  There is something amazing about worship in another language.  
I'm sure many stories will be coming your way shortly.
Love and blessings.
Rebecca

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca, I am so excited for you! This experience sounds amazing and it sounds like God is teaching you so much! God bless you :) I'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete