Now that I have seen, I am responsible
Faith without deeds is dead
Now that I have held you in my own arms, I cannot let go till you are
...
I will tell the world, I will tell them where I've been
I will keep my word
I will tell them Albertine

- Brooke Fraser

Monday 9 May 2011

Blessings upon blessings

Wow, there is so much to say.  I have officially been in Guatemala for one week now and it already feels like home!  We have gone into the city multiple times and had the chance to chat with vendors, see how traditional Guatemalan clothing is made, and visit various cathedrals and convents.  Antigua truly is beautiful - although I was reminded once again that it is not 'typical' Guatemala.  
My group visited an organization called Nuestros Ahijados (Our Godchildren).  It truly is a diamond amongst the rough.  From the road it looks like nothing special but when you drive further onto their property you see an abundance of life through the children, the plants, and the running water.  We learned about the organization and how they strive to make a holistic difference in the community.  They have a school program, a feeding program, programs for mothers and fathers about domestic violence, nutritional needs, etc., a medical and dental clinic, and a place called Casa Jackson, which is dedicated to feeding malnourished children (we may be fortunate enough to go and feed some of these babies!).  God's love and providence was so prominent in this place.  Although it was beautiful, it truly was a place of restoration and cleansing for the children and their families, a place where they could rise out of the ashes and learn how to then affect their community.  It was beautiful and touching.
Friday we had the privilege of taking a break from classes and going to the south of Guatemala - to the beach!  We arrived around 10 am and it was already muy calor y sol (very hot and sunny) but the water was so refreshing.  It was not cold but it was just right.  We played in the water and just chatted.  It almost seemed like a holiday, which felt weird, but it was so amazing to see the vast differences among Guatemala itself.    
That evening while walking through one of the local artisan markets back at home, a lady's smile caught my eye.  We easily began to communicate as she was extremely patient with me and just wanted to hear my story.  Unlike many of the vendors, she did not start showing me what she had for sale but instead continued her weaving and engaged in conversation.  I told her why I was here and what I was doing.  I told her that I am studying to become a nurse and she told me a bit of her story and how she is needing to see the doctor and is hoping to go tomorrow.  She told me that she wished I could go with her and be her nurse!  I was so touched.  How could a woman who has never met me say such a thing?  She was so sweet and genuine - I didn't ask but I believe she was a Christian because she shone so brightly.  After having this connection with her, I was so happy to find a beautiful blanket made of pieces of the traditional women's clothing here.  Although I could not be with her longer, I was so happy to be able to make a contribution to help her and her family.  She was so amazing - I will not forget her.  Hopefully I will be able to visit with her again in the market and get a picture with her.
Saturday morning we then left to visit Impact Ministries - who I will be working with in a few weeks.  We got to attend a church service of theirs, have a tour of their ministry, visit the sink hole (a place of Mayan worship to the underworld), do some home visits, and attend a school morning chapel.  Our team really bonded and felt God's hand here.  I was again reminded of the importance of visions and dreams that seem unattainable.  Full reliance on God is key for we can do all things in Him who gives us strength and Impact is truly a representation of this.  I poured myself into God's word this weekend and had an amazing conversation with one of my team members about Ruth and Philemon.  God is good no matter the circumstance and He is always there.  Regardless if times are great or not, He deserves our full praise and a spilling of our souls to Him without restrain.  The children here believe this and it is so evident.  We visited the sink hole in Chicoy and this time I was able to view it as a place of beauty and of God's creation, rather than of darkness and spiritual warfare as I did last time.  We then did two home visits in the surrounding community and brought food to two families who were in need.  We learned about their families and prayed for them.  This truly was touching.  I was again reminded of my privilege and blessing as one of the boys we talked to was my age.  Last year he finished grade four and was unable to return to Impact's school as he was now considered an adult.  Grade four... O the opportunities that this poor young man is missing out on.  It is evident he knows he is missing going to high school (and even finishing elementary school) but his love for God is great.  He worked out with Impact a deal.  He became the custodian of their school so he could still attend their devotional times and learn about God.  How amazing!  This morning we attended Impact's first school's assembly/devotional time.  It was so moving.  The children truly understand what a passion for God's name and Word is!  I have so much to learn from them.  They are beautiful and so joyful.  After the assembly they all came and gave us hugs - a lot of hugs full of love.  I could never get bored of those hugs!  God has truly blessed this ministry and I cannot wait to go back and give to the people of Tactic and the surrounding communities!
On our way home, we stopped at Guatemala city and got to walk through a cemetery.  It was unlike anything I had ever been in.  There were ornate houses and monuments built for the dead.  Figures of the Saints, Christ, and the Virgin were everywhere.  This place was so beautiful but my heart felt uneasy here.  I was not quite sure we walked to the edge of the cemetery.  The edge brought us to a cliff that overlooked the city dump.  It is estimated that 11,000 people live, work, and survive from that place.  Why do the dead get more praise and adoration than the people below?  Why are they treated as if they do not exist?  So many questions went through my head as my heart began to break for these people.  Why am I granted the privilege of knowing that I will have enough to survive each day, that I will have a place to sleep, that I will be warm, and that I am surrounded by people that I love and that love me back?  The vultures surrounded the dump making it feel even more like a place of death, yet there was so much life there!  I pray that God will reveal to me how I as an outsider can make a difference for these people.

I love you all and pray that God will reveal Himself to you in new ways as He has done for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment