Now that I have seen, I am responsible
Faith without deeds is dead
Now that I have held you in my own arms, I cannot let go till you are
...
I will tell the world, I will tell them where I've been
I will keep my word
I will tell them Albertine

- Brooke Fraser

Sunday 10 July 2011

Dios Ha Sido Bueno

Dios ha sido bueno.  God has been good.  After patiently awaiting for April's team, they arrived late in the afternoon and I got a hug that I had been longing to receive.  It was so great to be able to see a piece of home again.  Although I have not felt overwhelmingly homesick, that hug was fabulous (and made me really excited to be able to hug the rest of my family and friends).  However, that time is coming too soon.  Tomorrow is my last full day here in Tactic.  But thankfully with the team here it has been busy so I haven't had time to be depressed about leaving this amazing place that I now can call home.
With the team here I have still been working in the clinic but have also been involved with the team.  They held Vacation Bible School in Impact's after school program in San Antonio.  I was privileged to be able to attend one day and help out.  The children were all so thankful and happy with everything that was offered.  I know VBS really impacted a lot of the students on April's team, including April.  I have been praying really hard for this team and that God would completely open and change their hearts.  One evening Les led the debrief and talked about surrendering everything to Jesus - that we cannot live our lives for ourselves.  By the end of the night there was not a dry eye in the room.  Before the team got here for some reason I had the idea that I would be helping them, God had taught me so much.  But God had other plans in mind.  He broke me down and I just am learning to fall more in love with Him.  I started crying that night at first when I saw how God was working in April's life and then I just really cried out to the Lord and asked Him to continue break me down and rebuild me for Him.  Throughout the time that April's team has been here, I have been feeling the Lord speak to me about pursuing my nursing further and becoming a nurse practitioner.  I have heard this through people on the team and also during prayer.  If I become a nurse practitioner, I cannot even begin to imagine the possibilities that could lie ahead for me here in Guatemala for the future.
This morning I woke up over an hour before my alarm was going to go off and felt the Lord nudging me.  Telling me that this was our time together.  I hadn't journalled much since the team has been here as I have been so exhausted by the end of the day.  My own time has disappeared.  But this morning was amazing.  I read my Bible and wrote my desires and prayers to the Lord.  These lyrics came to mind and kept repeating themselves: Lord I give you my heart, I give you my soul.  I love for you alone.  Every breath that I take, every moment I'm awake, Lord have Your way in me.  I want my life to live out these words.  I want to live for God every moment of my life.  Something happened this week that annoyed me.  I ended up having to go to Chicoy sinkhole as there were a lack of leaders along and it is a really spiritual experience.  The sinkhole is a place of Mayan worship and is truly a heavy spiritual place.  So instead of going to the clinic I got driven to meet the team.  I was annoyed and frustrated.  But then I realized that I shouldn't be.  God has other plans in store.  It wasn't just a coincidence that I was going.  I prayed that I would be there to be able to comfort and speak God's truth to the kids who needed it.  That God would use me for His will and just fill me with His love and joy.  That prayer changed my outlook.  The experience was so moving.  While we entered I was able to encourage a few of the girls that God is so much bigger than anything that could possibly be in the sinkhole.  We believe in an all-powerful and all-loving God.  Yes, darkness is real.  But we know something greater.  Then after exploring a little in the sinkhole, we gathered together and started worshiping the Lord.  During the time of exploring, a witchdoctor had entered the sinkhole with two of his clients.  We worshiped God in spirit and truth and I know that the witchdoctor knew that something greater than he could ever do was present in that place.  He didn't start anything until we left and they watched us worship.  We were asked to get into the position we would go in if we were in front of our Lord.  Although we were in a dirty, soot-covered sinkhole, I went to my knees and just reached my arms to the Lord.  This trip I definitely have learned a lot about worship and have gained so much from it.  The Lord is good and has amazing plans in store for those He loves.  He can do so much more than we can even begin to imagine and He can free those people from the bondage they are in.  He can free the people of Guatemala from this darkness.  And He already has and is in the process of doing it.  He is good and He will free His people!
Yesterday I had the opportunity to visit April's new sponsor child, my grandma's sponsor child, and Yoselina and her family again.  It was a really special day.  While we were in Yoselina's home, God's presence was so evident.  That family is so filled with His love and goodness.  Despite their circumstances, they bought us all cookies and pop and just enjoyed their time with the group.  When I first arrived, Yoselina sprinted into my arms and definitely beat her last hug - she gave me the best hug ever.  She wouldn't let go of me the whole time.  God has been in every moment I have had with her.  I told her I loved her so much and would be praying for their family every day.  She almost started crying when I told her I was leaving soon and wouldn't see her again until hopefully next year.  If I had only met Yoselina and her family during my time here, this trip would have been worth it.  I love them.  God has shown Himself through them to me and what true gratitude to Him means.
God has been so good, so good.
I love you.  God bless you and see you soon.
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment