Now that I have seen, I am responsible
Faith without deeds is dead
Now that I have held you in my own arms, I cannot let go till you are
...
I will tell the world, I will tell them where I've been
I will keep my word
I will tell them Albertine

- Brooke Fraser

Saturday 16 July 2011

Back in Canada

Saying goodbye to Yoselina: a hug of true love.
So I made it back onto Canadian soil - much to the relief of my parents and grandmother!  It is weird being back.  It almost seems like time could have stood still while I was in a dream world.  Sure Guatemala is not perfect but there is something almost magical there - I guess you could call that God.  God was just so present in my life while I was there.  I grew an amazing passion not only for the people of Guatemala but also for my Lord and Savior.  I felt completely at home.  I felt like I belonged there.  Like I could make a true difference.  And also like I could be impacted.  
Life is too busy in Canada.  People are worried about everything - preoccupied with the pace of life.  Don't get me wrong, Canada is an amazing country and one that we are definitely blessed to live in, but something is not quite right.  We don't know what it means to say that we fully rely on God or that God provides for all our needs.  We make the excuse of not having enough time instead of making it our first priority to set time aside with the Lord.  I have learned a lot while I was gone and now need to try and apply it to my life back in Canada.  I know I need to be more plugged in with church and core groups in Canada.  I know that I need to be more committed to serving rather than doing the tasks.  I want to live my life here in a way as similar and in tune with God as it was in Guatemala.
Things are different.  I don't know how it is all going to work out.  But I do know that God has a purpose for me being back at home.  Guatemala was a boot camp for my real mission field at home.  Canada is hungry for God but we just don't know it as we fill that hunger with void and empty things.  I want my life to truly be a light in the darkness.  I am going to be different.  I am not going to be okay with mediocre or try and justify the things of this world.  The Spirit is offensive to the flesh.  I do not want to live in the flesh at all.  I want the Spirit to lead me.  I want to be fully into God.  I want to be a servant here in my community, among my friends and coworkers.  But most of all, I don't just want to want these things.  It can't end with me wanting.  I am asking the Lord to show me opportunities in which I can serve.  I am different and strive for my life to show God all the honor and glory and in turn be contagious to others.
It would be easy for me to sit here and list all the things that are wrong with Canada - with the North American dream.  But instead, I want to focus on the good.  To see where God is working.  To see His love and beauty.  To follow the words of Philippians 4:4-8:
Rejoice in the Lord always.  I will say it again: Rejoice!  Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Finally brothers (and sisters), whatever is true, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.
May this be are goal.  Not to worry but put complete trust in God.  And to focus on the things of Him.

Blessings and love,
Rebecca

And just so you all know, I don't plan on this being anywhere close to my last blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment